Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Surgery update

Today was one of the busier days I've had on surgery at the Boise VA. It started - of course - with a hernia repair, and then we had an emergency surgery for someone who had a rapidly bleeding gastric ulcer (he could have bled to death without surgery), and then we removed someone's gallbladder. Surgery can be interesting, but in general, I actually find it a little boring, at least from my perspective. Much of the time is spent figuring out what you're looking at (I assume this isn't the case for experience surgeons), and it is usually tedious and slow. Still, I'm learning useful skills: my sewing skills are rapidly improving and it's helpful to know about what cases are surgical emergencies.

In other Boise news, I did some great backcountry skiing last weekend near my parent's cabin. I continue to be spoiled by my and Diana's family. And believe it or not, Barack Obama is actually coming to Boise this Saturday.

1 comment:

boisekoneska said...

All I know is, you've been pretty boring since you've started surgery - in terms of the cool stories. Maybe obstetrics will be more interesting for your readership (and me especially)!